Friday, July 31, 2015

September Fishing Arrives Early; Stripers Around in Good Numbers

I landed this 30 inch keeper tonight.
Many keepers along with schoolies
and bluefish have been landed from
shore in the last week along the
oceanfront.
In most years, September marks the start of very good fishing from shore here in RI.  Here it is mid summer and the fishing along the oceanfront has suddenly turned very good, about as good as it gets in September.  In fact, many are saying this is about as good as it gets in the summertime.
All this good fishing is being fueled by massive schools of tiny bay anchovies that are moving northward along our oceanfront shores. Normally that happens in September, but it is going on right now. Stripers, blues and black sea bass are in pursuit and feeding.
I was out this evening and I found the bait.  Problem was that small bait was being attacked by some very fussy, but good sized stripers. Just before dark, I  had a breaking fish to cast to just about every cast.  I finally got one to hit a white Slug-Go but missed it.  A few minutes later, I hooked a good size one that I eventually got to shore.  The fish went 30 inches, a nice summer catch.
I spoke to many other fishermen today.  One guy told of a blitz of fish he was into yesterday.  He reports many stripers up to 35 inches were caught along with some big blues.  Another guy told me he landed 50 stripers in the last three days with many keepers in the mix.  My brother called this morning to report he was catching good numbers of schoolies and black sea bass from his boat.
So, things are looking real good right now for shore fishermen. It's September fishing in mid summer.