Saturday, May 16, 2015

Exceptionally Good

There are lots of them and they are hitting a
variety of lures.  They are spread out all over
the state along the oceanfront and the Bay.
Man, the fishing is good.  I'd say it is about the best spring fishing for stripers that I have seen in years. And, the fish seem to be all over the place.  In the last two days, I have landed 33 stripers that ranged from 14 inches to 30 inches.  There were several keepers or near keepers in the mix.  While I was having success in the upper Bay, my son, Jon, was slamming the fish at the oceanfront.  He had over 30 stripers along with 8 hickory shad his last two outings.  While we were both catching fish from shore, my brother Steve was killing them from the boat in the Bay, grabbing over 30 fish yesterday up to keeper size.
And, the fish are active.  Lots of different lures seem to be working. Yesterday, I was standing in a spot just watching fish break here and there all around me.  I don't know what they were feeding on, but they were hitting my small Slug-Gos fished off a float.  I was also getting some on a Zoom fluke threaded onto a half ounce jighead.  My son Jon was catching most of his fish at the oceanfront on small swimmers and shrimp fly teasers.  My brother Steve was scoring on small poppers. So, a lot of variety seems to be working.  That's what happens when the fish are plentiful and active.
As long as this weather remains cool and water temperatures remain cool (below 70 degrees), the fishing should continue to be exceptionally good.  It's been a great first month so far.