Monday, February 16, 2015

Enjoying This!

My son Matt and I are at the top
of Wachusett Mountain after a
major snowstorm.  Even with
temps in the teens, it was a great
day of skiing.
It's been a striper-less winter so far for me. There seems to be few or no fish in the upper Bay spots where I have caught tons of stripers in previous years.  In addition, the snow and ice have made it near impossible to park, walk around or even fish.
So, I've been living on the ski slopes. I've been skiing since I was a kid, and I feel as comfortable zipping down a steep ski slope as I feel walking around a park.  I spend my weekends teaching skiing at Yawgoo Valley, RI, and ski during the week at Wachusett Mountain, MA.  With over nine feet of snow in the last month and the totals piling up by the week at Wachusett, the skiing has been great.  I've been hitting the slopes 4 or 5 times a week and enjoying it immensely.  There's something about a ski area that makes people happy. You meet a lot of pleasant people on the chair and on the slopes.  The air is crisp, the scenery is breathtaking and the runs down the expert slopes are exhilarating . Who wouldn't enjoy those things?  It's similar to fishing a scenic surf spot on a beautiful day with the place all to yourself  and loaded with fish.
So, I'm looking forward to doing this for at least another month or two.  After that I'll retire the skis and break out the fishing gear. The beauty of living in New England is that it never gets dull if you are an outdoors man.